In my last post, I enumerated several advantages for serious
gaming in the classroom. I like the ways
that serious gaming taps into the social and competitive instincts of students,
and I‘m excited about the rich data that can be mined from a well-designed
serious game.
I get stuck, however, when I try to think about how to
capitalize on these benefits as a writing teacher. Here is my best idea (so far) for how to set
up an online game that would maintain the standards I expect in my students’
writing, but take advantage of the perks of serious gaming. WARNING:
This does not cut down on teacher grading, but that is not the point.
THE GAME:
Students are in charge of a real online blog, and choose the
topics they would like to cover. Every
student chooses a professional handle to protect anonymity. Each news cycle, students are grouped into
three or four groups, and given a writing assignment aligned to their ability
levels. Two students in each group are
assigned as editors.
Students write a piece, using a clear rubric to guide
them. Tasks maybe informative,
argumentative, investigative or creative.
Then, after a mini-lesson on a particular writing skill, they edit their
piece. While they are writing, editors should
be learning proof-reading skills and practicing on sample texts. Again, these lessons are geared toward a
certain targeted skill. After students finish, the editors need to submit their
edits, which are graded. Students then
have a second chance to revise their pieces.
The editors choose one piece to run “above the fold.”
At this point, the teacher grades the pieces and assesses
the editors’ edits. Any piece receiving
above a certain grade is published, although the editor’s picks get special attention. Students who fail to reach this grade must
revise, and if they meet the grade subsequently, their piece is also published. An important aspect of gaming is the ability
to immediately address failure.
The cycle begins again.
AUTHENTIC ASSESSMENT:
At certain points throughout the year, after students are familiar with
this process, the students should use the process for even more authentic
assignments. For example, a local
non-profit might ask for a piece to be published on their page, or the school
may use the students’ writing in a brochure for parents.
TROUBLESHOOTING: Of
course, a kid may drop to the bottom of the proverbial pond here, and wallow in
the weeds. In that case, I would give
that student an individual assignment that needed to go to press and could not
go until he or she had got it to a certain standard. Repeat until the student is properly engaged.
Any programmers out there want to design this? Does it already exist? Beyond a blog, I need an interface where
students see their progress and receive immediate feedback.

No comments:
Post a Comment